Hotspot Shield promotes access to a world with no borders and judging by it’s server and customer base rightly so. Whether shopping VPNs for a business or for personal use this is a virtual private network you will want to consider.
Offering both business VPN plans and personal use plans check out the highlights of Hotspot Shield VPN.
No matter which payment plan you subscribe to, you’ll gain access to all the features of Hotspot Shield VPN service. Here’s an overview of the features covered under the subscription plans:
- 45-day money-back guarantee in case you are not satisfied with the VPN service.
- 7-day trial period to test the servers and then proceed with the subscription.
- Access to servers in 25 countries, including China.
- Dedicated and highly responsive customer support.
- Capacity to connect up to 5 devices at the same time.
- Unlimited data and bandwidth usage.
Hotspot Shield offers multiple subscription plans to suit the needs of users. The plans are available on a monthly, yearly as well on a longer-term basis.
Here’re the plans offered by Hotspot Shield:
- 1-Month Plan: This is the highest priced plan on the list since the billing is done on a monthly basis. The monthly plan costs $12.99 per month and auto-renews itself until the plan is manually canceled.
- 6-Months Plan: This plan offers 31% savings since the period of subscription is higher. The plan costs $8.99 and the amount of $53.94 is charged every 6 months until the subscription is canceled.
- 1-Year Plan: The 1-year Elite subscription plan is priced at $71.88 and the amount is charged annually. The plan offers a maximum saving of 53% by charging just $5.99 per month.
- 3-Year Plan: This is the longest period subscription plan. The 3-year plan costs $125.64 and is charged every 3 years. The plan offers great savings as the monthly charge of the VPN is reduced to $3.49.
There is a free plan offered by Hotspot Shield that includes the military-grade encryption and access to geo-restricted sites but does not include any other features. This plan is supported by advertisements.
For businesses looking to secure their employees, they offer a business VPN plan that comes with an easy to use admin console, 24/7 live tech support, and starts with the ability to connect up to 20 devices.
Unlike many other premium VPN service providers, Hotspot Shield does not allow payments through cryptocurrencies.
The payment methods listed on the platform currently are:
- Credit cards
- Debit cards
- Hundreds of gift card from all major companies
Hotspot Shield is available for download for all devices and operating systems. It can connect up to 5 devices simultaneously and is compatible with:
- Chrome extension
Hotspot Shield has over 2,500 servers located in 25 countries worldwide. The servers cover the regions of Europe, Asia, the Middle East and America.
The VPN service provider has customers in China as well as tough to crack areas like UAE and Iran. Most of the servers are located in Europe and America, though. The free plan does not provide access to all these servers. To gain access to all 2,500+ servers in 25 countries, you’d need to purchase the Hotspot Shield Elite subscription plan.
- WebRTC and IPv6 leak protection.
- Automatically secures the untrusted Wi-Fi networks.
- Automatic kill switch to disable the network in case the connection drops.
- Uses TLS 1.2, 128-bit AES data encryption.
- Does not store your IP addresses.
- Detects and protects against over 3.5 million spam websites and malware infections.
- Bypasses censorship and allows access to content streaming websites like Netflix, Hulu, Vimeo and many more.
- Access to geo-restricted live telecasts of sporting events.
- The Elite version of the VPN software does not serve advertisements, enhancing your privacy by protecting your data from advertisers.
- The customer support uses a ticketing system to submit queries.
- 7-day free trial when you download the premium subscription software.
- An exclusive browser extension for Google Chrome which blocks malware, ads, tracking and cookies.
- Split tunneling feature, only available in Chrome extension, that allows you to access websites without proxy.
- Offers lightning-fast connection speeds due to Hydra Protocol.
- Allows P2P file sharing and downloads.
Ease of Use
The Hotspot Shield VPN software is extremely simplistic in design and offers easy navigation. It is set to run by default upon launching your device to prevent any IP leaks by accident.
The client software asks for your email address while signing up to validate your account. The app first offers a 7-day trial period which requires your credit card details to utilize the offer.
The app then moves to show a large button in the center of the screen that when clicked presents the server locations. The drop-down menu at the top left takes you through all the other features of the software.
The VPN software is highly user friendly and allows the user to set it up in different languages.
About Hotspot Shield
Hotspot Shield was launched in 2008 by the internet platform, Anchor Free with offices in both California and Switzerland. Millions of people do use Hotspot Shield as their VPN service provider worldwide. Their website supports thirteen languages.
Because the free version uses information to identify a user’s location in-order serve relevant advertisements. The VPN service provider has been under the limelight after being issued circulars by the Center of Democracy & Technology (CDT) regarding its claim to anonymity.
The service has been touted by many large corporations and holds 30+ patents for developing its own proprietary networking technology that helps optimize server connections for faster speeds over long distances.
Expect to see their line up of features grow as there has been heavy investment in this company as it plans to expand in the future.
Pros and Cons
While Hotspot Shield is used widely with over 650 million known downloads, there are positive and negative aspects of the VPN service provider by AnchorFree that keep it under scrutiny.
- Split tunneling feature allows the users to whitelist certain websites.
- Extremely fast connection speeds on most servers.
- Allows access to geo-restricted content like Netflix and also gaming events.
- Access to P2P file sharing and download.
- Allows 45-day refund guarantee which more than a lot of other service providers.
- Capacity to connect up to 5 devices simultaneously.
- User-friendly app with an option choose between different languages.
- Available in 25 countries which is much lesser compared to some other prominent VPNs.
- Based in the U.S. which has strict data enforcement laws.
- Not a very responsive and easy to use customer support.
- Limited to OpenVPN protocol.
Hotspot was said by PCWorld to be “a top choice for encrypting your Wi-Fi connection.” and it has obtained millions of dollars by leading technology investors such as 8VC, Accel, Green Bay Ventures, and WndrCo (to name a few) for future product development.
>>Click here to enjoy Hotspot Shield VPN quality services now with even more enhanced features planed in the future.