If you’re looking for a cost-friendly, user-friendly online tax filing software, you can’t go wrong with TaxSlayer. TaxSlayer helps you prepare and electronically file your federal tax returns. You don’t need any specialize tax knowledge to use this it.
TaxSlayer also has Android and iOS apps, enabling you to file your tax on the go. Let’s see what else this application has to offer.
How TaxSlayer Works
When filing your taxes using TaxSlayer, you start by selecting your product and then entering your user details: username, email address, and password. You may also need to need to choose a security question.
Then you’ll key in relevant information regarding your filing status, federal and state information, personal details, and dependents. The system saves your data as you continue for later use. There’s a menu on the right-hand side, which provides quick access to various sections.
Once you’re done with the data entry process and ascertained that everything is correct, you may find that you’re getting a refund or that you owe money. If you qualify for a refund, TaxSlayer can help you receive your money in any of the following ways:
- Electronic mailed check, which takes 18 to 28 days.
- Direct deposit, which takes 7 to 21 days.
- Direct deposit via Civista Bank, which takes up to 21 days.
- Prepaid Debit Card
Conversely, if you paid less in taxes the previous year and owe the IRS, TaxSlayer also provides many options for making payments to the IRS, including mail payments and electronic withdrawal.
TaxSlayer is committed to making filing your tax returns as simple and stress-free as possible, and all its features are geared towards achieving that. Here’s a features overview:
- Prepare, E-file, & Print
- State Return Included
- All Major Forms Supported
- Live Phone Support
- Free Email Support
- Deduction Finder
- W-2 Import
- PDF Import
- Pull Previous Year Info
- Compare Previous Year
- Audit Assistance
- Priority Support
- Live Chat Support
If you are having a hard time filing your return, you will find the following features very helpful:
- The Guide Me feature will walk you through every step of the tax return process. It will answer any reporting questions you might have during the process. This feature becomes active as soon as you start keying in your details on the personal information filing status page.
- The Helpful Video feature, which is accessible by clicking on the green play button and opens on a separate page, provides videos that serve as your online personal tax guide. The videos are designed to guide you through the process of filling out your returns to ensure you have stress-free filling experience.
- The TaxSlayer Filing Status Wizard provides additional information about various topics, so you don’t have to worry about choosing the wrong option. The wizard is designed to provide clarification for any questions you might be unsure about.
- The Search Tool gives you access to an extensive knowledge base of relevant articles. The search bar under the help and support link can also come in handy if you want to find common forms quickly. Simply key in specific words that identify the form.
TaxSlayer is available in five packages, so you can choose one that suits your needs effectively. They are:
- Simple Free
- TaxSlayer Classic
- TaxSlayer Premium
- TaxSlayer Self-Employed
- TaxSlayer Ultimate
If you only have income reported on W-2 forms and have no dependents, this version can be ideal for you. It allows you to file simple federal and state tax returns at no cost. If you encounter any issues during the filing process, you have two options for seeking help – free email and phone support.
However, the help is limited to technical support. If you need to talk to a tax professional, you’ll need to upgrade to a higher version.
Classic – $17
If you have dependents, the TaxSlayer Classic would be ideal for you. It is the most popular plan as it allows for all major forms. It also covers all deductions and credits.
The added benefits come at a cost, however. You’ll pay $17 for filing a federal tax return and $29 for filing each state return. Another great thing about the classic plan is that it allows you to import last year’s return as well as W-2 to expedite the process.
Unfortunately, you only have access to free email or phone technical support. You have to upgrade to a premium plan to enjoy the support of a tax professional.
Premium – $37
In addition to features you find in the classic plan, TaxSlayer Premium also offers you technical support through a live chat. Moreover, you can have some of your tax-related questions answered by a tax professional within one business day.
With the premium plan, which will cost you $29 for state filing and $37 for federal filing, you also get to enjoy three years of assistance with IRS audits. In case you get audited, you will have access to a tax professional to guide you through the auditing process.
Self-Employed – $47
If you are a small business owner, freelancer, a contractor, or self-employed in any other way, the TaxSlayer Self-Employed plan will work well for you. It is designed for individuals filing Schedule C and those with a 1099-MISC.
This plan gives you access to all the features found in the premium plan, plus extra features that are geared to give a self-employed individual an easier time filing their tax return. Moreover, you can get help from a professional who understands how self-employed taxes work. That is in addition to the technical and professional support offered in the premium plan.
Ultimate – $57
In addition to all the features found in the other plans, TaxSlayer Ultimate has other advanced features that are geared to give you unmatched peace of mind when you are filing your returns.
You’ll enjoy exceptional technical support, identity protection and restoration for one year, and three years of complete IRS audit defense and representation. What’s more, you’ll have access to a guide to the new tax law.
Tax Slayer Competitors
Tax Slayer is one of the top 10 tax filing services, which means they have a lot of companies competing with them. These are the top 3:
- TaxAct – One of the most popular platforms, TaxAct is in the discussion for top service.
- H&R Block – The best service for combination of in person and online help, H&R Block is one of the most well known names in tax prep.
- TurboTax – Probably the most famous tax prep service, TurboTax is the most successful tax filing software nationwide.
- Affordable pricing
- User-friendly interface
- Free filing for simple tax returns
- W-2 import available for paid versions
- Low add-on fee for state returns
- Limited professional support available
- Less educational content compared to competitors
- Most of its extra features require a plan upgrade or paying extra.
- Doesn’t support integrations with third-party apps
- No downloadable version
Tax Slayer Review Bottom Line
TaxSlayer remains one of the best tax filing software options on the market. It offers a great interface, a range of valuable features, and several support options at a competitive price.
Most of its competitors charge about twice the price for similar features. Moreover, it works on all devices, and even has iOS and Android apps, so you can file your returns wherever you are.